Monday, June 29, 2009

They Left The Lights On For Him



I have my problems with Andy Murray, to be sure, but he does seem to embrace these big stages much more than Tim Henman ever did. During his 2-6, 6-3, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 win over Stanislas Wawrinka, Murray emoted all The atmosphere indoors under the artificial lights was something Wimbledon had never before seen in its 132 years, for better or for worse. I like that the big matches won't have to be suspended due to darkness anymore, but I can't say I was enamored with the Astrodome-esque feel of the indoor grass court.

Though in terms of firing up the hometown fans in the papers the next morning, Murray's post match press conference leaves something to be desired...
Q. What are your emotions right now?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, well, obviously great to come through. Haven't thought about the match a whole lot. We made sure, you know, I warmed down properly, saw the physio and got as much food in me as possible.
And then, you know, organizing what I'm going to do tomorrow to, you know, make sure I recover as best as I can before the next round.

Without the Nadal-Federer rematch to look forward to, the Murray run is one of the best storylines Wimbledon has going for it to be sure. Having the native son be the one to blaze uncharted territory into the night was the best organizers could have hoped for. The crowd loves him and he loves the Wimbledon crowds, and the new roof amplifies the noise fivefold.

Juan Carlos Ferrero is the softest draw of the eight quarterfinalists, so Murray and the hometown crowd should have more to celebrate come Wednesday. Murray may need the help more than he thinks, as he is only 1-3 in his previous four grand slam quarterfinals. If he does get through, Friday against Andy Roddick or Lleyton Hewitt should be a real good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment